Asparagus, cooked in butter
The nice thing about being back home is having our own kitchen around us, with a good amount of space (the kitchens in the Netherlands leave a little to be desired, in many cases!). And the great thing about the timing of our return is that asparagus season is in full swing. To celebrate, I cooked an old favourite. I prepared this amazing asparagus to have on the side.
Asparagus, Butter, Pecans (almonds are great too).
This is a pretty simple one.
1. Prep the asparagus – a grandmotherly tip, if you pull the base of the asparagus gently, it will break away at the right place. This gets rid of the ragged edges.
2. Prep the pecans. Pecans are good, since they have nice little cutting guides – slice them so you get lengthways pieces. Of you don’t like pecans, flaked almonds work well too. For something completely different, some wild mushrooms would give this a really deep woody flavour too.
3. Melt some butter over a medium heat in a pan. Ideally, the pan will be wide enough for the asparagus spears. Don’t be stingy with the butter. This recipe won’t win awards for low-fat or low calories, but if you’re going to fry something in butter, make sure you enjoy it (and don’t do it every day).
4. Once the butter has turned golden, place the asparagus in the pan; use a spoon to make sure the spears get good and coated in the butter, and turn the asparagus regularly.
5. After about three or four minutes, or when the spears are softened, add the pecans and cook for another three or four minutes.
6. Serve with whatever your main course is, and enjoy! Eet Smaakelijk! Bon Appetit! and other such things.
Photos by CIA, cooking by PJD, who is happy to be back in his own kitchen again.
- Roasted Asparagus & Oven Roasted Asparagus | Pottery Barn (potterybarn.com)
- cheesy broccoli & asparagus bake (nomilkmonday.com)
- An Amazing Asparagus & Bacon Side Dish (eatlikearabbitrecipes.wordpress.com)*
- Creamy Asparagus Soup (makeaheadmum.com)
*No good for vegetarians, this one, but if I ate meat (I don’t), I would eat this!